BREAKING UP WITH VERSIONS OF OURSELVES WE CREATED TO SURVIVE

Today is the last day of the year 2021, quite a lot of people are excited to turn a new page in to the new year with so many things we look forward to achieving. I learnt something sometime this year that I’ve been working on all this while. I know you’re excited to start this new year but let me call your attention to something. Do you know there are versions of you that are not you? Versions you created to either survive or get over a situation. Some of these versions have over stayed their welcome and it’s time we break up with them and be completely free from them. Take out time today, just few minutes write down the many different versions you know you don’t like which came about due to circumstances and which may be showing up always and making you miserable. Let me share with you how I structured mine (it will open your eyes to so many things you’re putting up with that are not beneficial to you).  The Desperate version of you: You may have had it really hard in life and it made you desperate. Desperate for attention maybe from men, coworkers or whoever. You put up maybe with terrible jobs, abusive and negligent unproductive relationships. You’re always struggling so people can see your worth etc. (I’ve been there and I know it hurts really bad). Right now tell yourself no more of that desperate you, you’re breaking up with it forever.  The Bitter and Unforgiving version of you: ‘Adulting’ is not easy for anyone. We struggle with different challenges at different times and sometimes we blame people for so many things they may have done that hurt us. In the course of trying to cope with the hurt or pain, we may create a version that is foreign to us. We become bitter and unforgiving towards those people who don’t do things to you as you expected. Break up with that bitter ‘you’, it’s not you at all and doesn’t serve you any good.  The Jealous version of you: Your life may not be moving at the same pace with others and all of a sudden, you feel jealous when you meet them. You want what others have, you don’t celebrate other people’s wins because of envy. As much as you think you’re helping yourself to cope with what you see, you’re killing yourself and so break up with that version of yourself now. Write it down, pray about it but make sure to stop that behavior.  The Negative and Depressed version of you: In times like this, the pandemic and unrest in so many countries all over the world, it’s not easy to stay positive always. But when you’re continuously depressed even over petty things, you need to watch out. Honestly, some people no longer believe any good thing can come their way, I used to think so too. Some complain all day and cry all night, we’ve been there but it wasn’t helping at all. You’re only helping yourself to build a version of you that will hunt you every time you’re alone. This minute, break up with that version of you because it’s not beneficial to you wellbeing.  The Prayerless Version of You: I had to add this version because many of us have it. I know when things don’t go as you wished, you stop praying. I’ve been there several times but believe me, you not praying is not helping because you may end up in situations you wished you had prayed about. It gets so frustrating when you don’t have anyone to talk to, talk to God. You don’t need any protocol to talk to God. Speak to Him about what ever situation you may be facing, not only will you be relieved, with time you’ll see things working out for your good. God truly is never late and your labor of love will be greatly rewarded. Hebrews 4:16 “Let us therefore come boldly before the throne of grace that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need” (Philippians 4:6) Brethren in Christ, there are thousands of versions of you that you created to survive or to manage a negative situation that now serves as a thorn in your flesh. There is the selfish/egoistic, proud, rude, uncaring, unbelieving, competitive (negative), hater etc. version of you that is now draining life out of you. Leave that person behind and move forward, there’s so much God has in store for you and don’t be surprised some of these versions are stopping you from receiving God’s best for you. Ever since I started this exercise, I’ve learned to say no to situations I used to accommodate out of desperation, I’ve learned to be grateful for every achievement because it’s my win not another’s. People that treated me bad and made me feel less worthy, I’ve learned to love them from a distance because they’re not helping in any way. I had so many versions that I broke up with that I am so grateful I did. You’re and original and the best don’t let circumstances make you feel any less. Happy New Year Beloved Family!

Comments