CELEBRATING ALL OUR MOTHERS

 

Today is Mother’s day and with everything happening all over the world, there may be mothers who may not receive a card or a text from their children.  I’ve come to understand especially from where I was raised that, a child doesn’t have just one mother in their lifetime. There are many other women we’ve come across that have played motherly roles in our lives. It may have been very brief or lengthy but that motherly aspect wasn’t absent during the encounter. These women came in the form of baby sitters, Pastor’s wife, teachers at school, colleagues at work, grandmother, aunts, sisters and sometimes strangers. When a woman babysits, she does everything to give the baby the feeling that it’s mother is not away. She gives the baby her bath, feeds the baby, changes their diaper and pampers them to sleep. Sometimes our female teachers are quick to know when we are not ok. They talk to us privately or send us to the school counselor. Sometimes we receive advice from a friend or colleague that truly gives the feeling you’re with your mother. Some men can testify that there are times when their wives sound more like their mothers than their wives. We have aunts who call from time to time, they send us food from the village especially those delicacies we miss while we’re in the city. There are some of us whose only motherly care came from their grandmothers for many reasons. I remember one time when I was travelling, I sat beside a middle-aged woman who took perfect care of me as if I was her daughter. She bought food for me and when I felt nauseous, she gave me something to help with the nausea. When I finally threw up, she held my hand and rubbed my back and when I was done, she gave me clean water to drink. She gave me full permission to rest on her thighs if I felt like resting. Honestly, I can’t say enough how motherly that felt in that car.

Dear brethren in Christ, we have mothers almost everywhere and it’s not based on age or size but the heart with which they serve us. As we celebrate mother’s day, do not only celebrate your birth mother or the mother that raised you, celebrate every lady who has ever been there for you like your mother would. Their tender love and care can never be under estimated, their concern for your wellbeing and their time deserves a word of thanks. As for me, I want to thank my birth mother, my aunts, sisters, friends, colleagues and even the strangers, who have served as a blessing in my life. Cared for me like I was your own, supported me in my endeavors, corrected me when I went wrong and celebrated my happy days as well. Some of you accepted me into your homes, treated me as your daughter, fed me with delicious meals and laughed at my corny jokes. I can never pay you back for everything because it absolutely priceless, but I know your labor of love will not go in vain. The Father and God of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ preserve you and reward you bountifully. I LOVE YOU

Comments