WHAT KIND OF MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO?




I love music so much. When I am alone in a quiet place I just want to listen to music. Many people are like that. Some people love specific genres and there are many for example RnB hip hop, soft and punk rock, classical/opera music, slow, Reggae, zouk love (French origin), a cappella etc. Have you ever noticed that the genre you love and listen to often, you start becoming? Yeah! Take for instance those who listen to reggae slowly behave like Rastafarians and believing in what they believe in as well as start having their appearance. Same for punk rock, they have a unique way to express themselves that the more you listen to their music the more you become like them. As a believer what genre are you into? Note that genre at times does not matter as much as the words in the song. Some songs worship idols, some use very vulgar language, some make you desire fame and money as what defines our existence, some make sex the order of the day etc. What you listen to, you become. Some secular music on most occasions clogs your spiritual eyes and ears. I am not saying that all secular music is bad, but we should be careful when choosing. Even some “so called” Christian music doesn’t make sense because they are not scriptural at all or better still they don't sing about the person and saving works of Jesus Christ. In some of these 'so called' christian musics glory is given to the singer than God Almighty Himself. Others instigate fear, doubt and unbelieve in the believer. We love music that portrays the beauty of love, nature, life; inter alia. But mind you, too much of something will make you like it.
My main concern is that, we should choose to listen to music that exalts Jesus, His person and saving works. Music is ministry and so should carry Gospel message as well. Music that speaks of our identity in Christ, music we can use to call someone to Christ; that gives the joy of the Lord, that celebrates God’s excellency and goodness. I say this because the more we feed on such music, the more our hearts are opened to worship the Father and it brings us to a place of reverence for God. When I confessed Jesus as Lord of my life, a lesson was taught in our youth meeting about music and how it affects our lives, I honestly argued and called the person who gave the lesson a fanatic (pardon my language). I said you could put them in their place and thus it depends on the individual and how they deal with their music lives. I listened to any kind of music and when I am having my quiet time and want to sing of the glory of God before I pray, I could barely find any worshipful praise in my mind. My mind was always dry during personal worship and when I get one, there’s no other.  I decided to challenge myself by listening only to music that exalts the Father, and to devote y my being to it. I took a break from mincing secular and christian music, I choose gospel music alone. The result, I must honestly say was outstanding. The first time I felt God talking to me was after a worship session during my prayer time. I learnt from there and I have chosen to listen to godly, Christ-exalting music as often as I can and my life changes every blessed day.
 Hey people, we are the redeemed of the Lord and He loved and approved us as His from the foundation of the world. The songs we sing and listen to should make us more and more conscious of our identity in Christ. It should make us undersatand how much God loves us and how through Jesus we have been freed from our sins and fears. Some hymns are also very powerful and good, you should spend some time singing them when you are alone. The Bible says God inhabits the songs of His saints and so when you sing songs that glorify God you are more conscious of the power of His presence in and around you. (Ephesians 5:19).  Lift His name high above every other name, celebrate Him with singing; our praises are like a sweet aroma unto Him always.

You're Blessed!!!

Comments